The UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS) will be holding its 42nd Annual Session October 12 to 16 at the FAO in Rome. The International Agri-Food Network is the Secretariat of the Private Sector Mechanism (PSM). It will be coordination a delegation of a hundred business and farmer representatives. Make sure you register!
The plenary program will include:
- CFS and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- State of Food Insecurity in the world 2015
- Food Security and Nutrition in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- Water for Food Security and Nutrition
- Connecting Smallholders to Markets
- National and Regional Multistakeholder Approaches to Improve Nutrition
There will be two special events:
- Resilience Building for Sustainable Food Security and Nutrition
- Building Knowledge, Skills and Talent Development of Youth
World Food Day celebrations will take place on October 16 at ExpoMilan and will focus on the theme of Social Protection and Agriculture: Breaking the Cycle of Rural Poverty.
In addition, the Private Sector Mechanism (PSM) will host:
- Bilateral meetings with Member States and staff from the UN Rome-Based Agencies (FAO, IFAD, WFP)
- High-Level Dinner for CEOs and Ambassadors (by invitation only)
- Private Sector Partnership Dialogue with FAO’s Director General on Inclusive Finance and Business Models in Agriculture
- Live tweeting @AgriFoodNet Online discussions on our LinkedIn Discussion Group
The Private Sector Mechanism (PSM)
The Private Sector Mechanism is an open platform providing a permanent seat for private enterprises right across the agri-food value chain, from farmers, to input providers, to cooperatives, processors, SMEs and food companies. The private sector and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, along with civil society and the research community, have permanent seats on the CFS Advisory Group alongside member countries of the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations. Read more about the creation of the CFS Advisory Group.
IAFN is the co-ordinator for the Private Sector Mechanism of the UN Committee on Food Security.
Emerging Ag is the secretariat for the International Agri-Food Network (IAFN).