Blog for the 2017 High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development: Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world
Proposed series of blogs
The theme of the 2017 session of the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF), to be held from 10-19 July in New York, is "Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world". The session will hear presentations by 43 countries that have volunteered to make national presentations on their follow-up and implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs. The session will also review in-depth the following SDGs:
- Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere;
- Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture;
- Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages;
- Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls;
- Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation;
- Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development;
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.
In order to promote the 2017 HLPF session, the DESA Division for Sustainable Development is launching an online blog series to capture the views of experts, Member States, the UN system, Major groups and other Stakeholders on this year’s theme and/or the 7 SDGs that will be reviewed in-depth by the HLPF in July.
The contributions to the online Blog should provide various perspectives on eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world, and how to promote the achievement of SDGs 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 14, and 17, and will thus contribute to discussions at the HLPF. The blogs are also intended to create a buzz around the HLPF itself. Giving voice to a wide range of stakeholders also underlines the inclusive spirit of the 2030 Agenda and HLPF.
The blog entries should to be succinct and to the point, a maximum of 700 words in length. They will be published on the DSD website. The blog can be published by individual authors, or on behalf of an organisation.
Guiding questions for authors
The blog entries could address one or several of the following questions:
- What concrete steps need to be taken to end poverty?
- How can we promote prosperity?
- How are global trends impacting our approaches to eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity?
- How can we spur implementation of SDGs 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 14 and 17?
- How are SDGs 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 14 and 17 interlinked?