IFT16: Winners get the opportunity to share their pulse innovations at the largest food technology event of the year!
I was given the opportunity to attend the International Food Technology conference in Chicago, IL, USA last week. The events drew a crowd of 23,000 food scientists, technologists, agriculturalists and foodies.
I was there to support Pulse Canada, the American Pulse Association, USA Dry Pea and Lentil Council, and the Global Pulse Confederation put on the LovePulses Product Showcase. Winners from the National Competitions, and winners from the Virtual Competition presented their products to a crowd of over 100. Offering samples and cooking demonstrations, the winning teams captivated the audience for their hour long session at the Cooking Up Science booth. It was so great to see these students taking advantage of the opportunity to present their hard work to relevant industry members.
The teams who presented their products include:
- Charlotte Reynolds, for her Blooming Food Lupin Crisps from the UK
- Phindile Jane Tsela, for her Bean Jam from Swaziland
- Tushar Kaushik, Shardul Dabir, Yash Naresh Gajwani, NIFTEM, for their FMP Chips (Flax, Millets and Pulse Chips) from India
- Chandre Van De Merwe, Austen Neil, Nicolle Mah for their BiotaGelata from Canada
- Steven Ross, Yuda Ou, Audrey Boeken, for their Southwestern Vegan Black Eyed Pea and Chickpea Enchilada with Salsa Verde and Rocky Mountain Succotash from the USA
- Hannah Dressen, Shakira Abu Samah, Payton Irlbeck, Joe Quinlan, for their Southwest Street Tacos, from the USA
- Charlize Snyman and Naomi Cutler for their Coconut Chickpea Cookie from Australia
Learn more about the teams, watch their YouTube videos, and read their blogs here.
All of the student’s samples were eaten and mentioned many times while exploring the convention afterwards. In addition to the presentation, the students were given the opportunity to connect with media outlets to share their stories with the world. So far, the live articles can be found on the Huffington Post here:
- Charlotte Reynolds, for her Lupin Crisps
- Tushar Krausik, for FMP Chips
- Phindile Tsela, for her Bean Jam
- Steven Ross, of Southwestern Vegan Black Eyed Pea and Chickpea Enchilada with Salsa Verde and Rocky Mountain Succotash
- Nicole Mhah, for BiotaGelata
More teams are in contact with their local media outlets, with pieces going live both online and through radio outlets! Follow @LovePulses for additional event coverage.
The whole presentation was filmed, and will be made available on the IFT website soon.
Read the press release on iyp2016.org.